Shortbread spider biscuits
Preparation Time: 10 Mins
Cook Times: 20-25 Mins (plus 1 hour refrigeration time)
- Pre-heat the over to 160° C/ 140° C Fan/ gas mark 3/325° F.
- Sieve the icing sugar, plain flour, and cornflour into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the butter and vanilla extract or paste until it is very soft. Add the butter and extract to the other ingredients and combine until it forms a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface that you have lightly dusted with flour and form into a sausage shape.
- Place the sausage-shaped dough onto a piece of clingfilm leaving enough room at the end to get hold of and roll it up tightly.
- Holding each end of the clingfilm, spin until it forms an even round shape, and put it in the fridge to firm up (1 hour).
- When the dough is firm, cut approx. 7mm thick biscuit pieces cutting through the clingfilm. Remove the clingfilm from the edge after cutting, before placing onto baking trays lined with parchment.
- Bake for around 20-25 minutes until pale but not doughy. Allow to cool slightly before moving to a wire rack.
- Once cool, you can decorate!!!
- Melt the chocolate on the hob using a bain-marie or a bowl suspended over a pan of water so the steam from the water creates a gentle/even heat to melt the chocolate. Keep string regularly until fully melted being careful not to burn it.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a piping bag with a small nozzle or hole and pipe 8 legs onto the biscuits. Finish them off with the edible eyes and allow the chocolate time to set before serving.
- 100 g Icing Sugar
- 200 g Plain Flour
- 100 g Cornflour
- 200 g Softened butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Paste
- Edible eyes
- 200 g Chocolate for melting